University of Taubate. It is a public university of the municipal government of the city of Taubaté, in addition to having a campus in Ubatuba in Brazil.
However, the history of higher education in Taubaté begins with the creation of its first faculty. The first of them, the Faculty of Philosophy, Sciences and Letters was created on September 20, 1956 ; On September 2, 1957, the Faculty of Law was created, as well as the School of Accounting, the School of Engineering appeared on November 21, 1964, the School of Medicine began on April 22, 1963, the School of Social Work began its activities on May 10, 1963, the School of Physical Education and Sports on October 7from 1968. These faculties, created as municipal institutions or as private institutions, functioned at the same time, with independent structure, administration and teaching.
On September 3, 1973, the old faculties were united, forming the Federation of Schools of Taubaté (FFT), which became in 1974 the University of Taubaté, installed on January 2, 1976.
Its first rector was the then president of the Federation, José Alves, a career professor at the Taubaté Law School.