Federated state of the central USA (107,044 km 2 with 11,485,910 inhabitants in 2008); capital Columbus. The territory extends to the right of the river of the same name, from the wide elbow that it describes downstream of Pittsburgh until the confluence of the You love me; the north-western strip sends its waters to the Lake Erie. It is a flat or slightly undulating region (maximum height 420 m), crossed by numerous streams, which draw wide meanders. The climate is continental; the rains are abundant everywhere. Agriculture is flourishing and very diversified; intense cattle breeding in the prairies. The mining industry is important, which is responsible for a considerable production, as well as coal, oil, natural gas and building materials; There are also iron and steel, metallurgical, mechanical construction, electrotechnical and aeronautical, oil refining, chemical, food industries etc. According to abbreviationfinder, the main centers, in addition to the capital, are Cleveland and Cincinnati, Toledo, Akron, Dayton, Youngstown and Canton.
The region, of which in 1749 Pierre Joseph de Céloron de Blainville took possession in the name of France, after the Seven Years War it was ceded to the English. The difficulty of keeping the Indians in check (revolt of Pontiac, 1772) led to make the territory a territorial appendix of Canada (Quebec Act, 1774), reserved for Indians and leather traders. Passed to the United States for the treaty of Paris (1783), the region was disputed by the neighboring states with a struggle which ended the ordinance of 1787 which provided for the organization of the Territory of the Old North-West (only at Connecticut the Western Reserve, a 120 mile long strip on Lake Erie, remained until 1800, from which the States of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, MichiganAnd Wisconsin. THE. it was quickly colonized; in 1788 the Ohio. Company founded Marietta; the following year, settlers of the New Jersey founded Cincinnati and in 1796 Cleveland was founded in the Western Reserve. After the Indians were defeated (Fallen Timbers, 1794), the population grew rapidly, and in 1803 the Ohio was admitted into the Union. In 1837, he obtained the lake port of Toledo from Michigan, a convergence point for the railway and canal network. After the pause of the civil war, in which the Ohio was for the Union that the development of the economic life of the state took on an increasing pace, especially in the large industrial centers of Cincinnati, Cleveland and Toledo.
According to countryaah, Ohio has the following main cities:
City of the United States, capital of Hamilton County, in the state of Ohio, at 39 ° 6 ′ 30 ′ N and 84 ° 30 ′ W, the second largest city by population in the state and the sixteenth largest city of the United States (1920 census); it is located at 151 msm
The primitive nucleus of the city, initially called Losantiville, dates back to 1788; Fort Washington was built there in 1789, and in 1790 the town was proclaimed the capital of Hamilton County and its primitive name was changed to that of Cincinnati by General Saint Clair: at the end of the century. XVIII, however, the center counted only 800 inhabitants. In 1802 it was recognized as a city. As with the other cities of Ohio, the cause of the rapid development during the century. XIX is to be found in the opening of the Miami Canal, in the construction of the first railways and in the beginning of navigation on the Ohio.
The annual trend of climatic conditions can be obtained from the following table:
In 1810 the city had 2540 residents, Which rose in 1850 to 115.431; in 1860 to 161,044; in 1870 to 216,239; in 1880 to 255,139; in 1890 to 296,908; in 1900 to 325,902; in 1910 to 363,591; in 1920 to 401,247; a 1928 calculation gave 413,700 residents The strongest increases therefore occur above all in the first half of the century. XIX: the highest percentage value is that of the decade 1840-1850 (increase of 149.1%).
As for the races, 92.5% (1920 census) was given by the Whites, 7.5% by the Negroes; among the first there were numerous Germans (93,460), followed by the Irish (20,566), then by the English, Russians and Italians (5691).
The area of the center measured in 1927 sq km. 185: located on the right bank of the Ohio, the maximum left tributary of the Mississippi, the city has been developing in the hilly area behind it, which reaches 320 m at its highest points; from the heights you can enjoy the view of the city and its surroundings and here the most beautiful part of the center has developed with magnificent villas. The morphological conditions of the territory have influenced the topography of the city: in fact the road network does not present as a whole that characteristic right-angled layout, a salient peculiarity of many North American cities.
On the left bank of Ohio (which serves as a border between the states of Ohio and Kentucky), numerous urban centers have also developed, including Covington (57,121 residents In 1920) and Newport (29,317), which in essence must be considered as suburbs of Cincinnati (with which they are joined by numerous bridges) although located outside the state of Ohio. The city is full of parks, covering an area of over 8 square kilometers: the most notable is Eden Park.
Cincinnati is a notable industrial center. In 1909 it owned 2,183 factories with 60,182 employees, which rose in 1919 to 2,239 and 69,680 respectively. The most important industries are the metallurgical ones, which employ over 14,000 workers; followed by those relating to footwear, clothing, publishing art, tobacco processing, pork bagging, etc. Given its geographic location at the crossroads of major waterways (rivers and waterways) that lead east to west and from the Great Lakes region to the Mississippi Basin, Cincinnati has tremendous commercial and railway importance. It is located on the main lines, which connect it with the centers of Indianapolis, Chicago, Toledo, Columbus and with the metropolises of the Atlantic coast.
Higher education is taught in a number of institutes: Cincinnati University stands out, founded in 1874, which currently has 570 professors and over 4800 students. There are numerous libraries, the main one being the Public Library, full of over 300,000 works.
The Academy of Fine Arts, the first fully equipped institution of its kind, currently has more than 500 students. Among the collections of the museum, which is part of the same group of buildings, the Duveneck room is unique for the large number of works by this painter, who lived in Cincinnati and taught at the Academy for many years. The Blum Memorial Collection contains many works by the artist, also a citizen of Cincinnati. The museum also preserves the famous painting by Solon Borglum, Wild Horses on the Run. In 1927 Mrs. Emery donated an important collection of paintings located in a new wing of the museum, with works by French and Flemish primitives, Rubens, Van Dyck and a group of English portrait painters; among the Dutch painters we remember paintings by Rembrandt, Hals and Terborch. There are also a beautiful Mantegna, some Italian paintings of the century. XVI, Spanish paintings, paintings of the modern French schools and, among the Germans, paintings by Dürer and Cranach. One of Cincinnati’s best-known sculptures is Barnard ‘s Abraham Lincoln in Lytle Park. (See tables LXXXV and LXXXVI).
Capital of the state of Ohio and capital of Franklin County, it is located at 39 ° 58 ‘of lat. N. and to 830 of long. O., at 227 masl, at the confluence of the Scioto and Whetstone rivers (Ohio). The primitive nucleus of the future great center was established by Lucas Sullivant, in 1797, and was called Franklinton: in 1812 Columbus was founded on the eastern bank of the Scioto River; in 1870 the two centers were united.
The average annual temperature is 11 °, 1; the winter one of −0 °, 6 and the summer one of 22 °, 8. The average annual rainfall is 945 mm., Distributed in the four seasons quite regularly. In 1830 Columbus had 2435 inhabitants, which rose to 17,882 in 1850, to 51,647 in 1880, to 125,560 in 1900, to 181,511 in 1910, to 237,031 in 1920; a 1928 calculation gave 299,000 residents The percentage increases are strong, remaining in the second half of the century. XIX, always above 4% on average per year. As for the races, in 1920 90.4% were given by Whites, 9.3% by Negroes; the remainder by a few Indians, Chinese, Japanese, etc. There were then on the same date 20,748 Germans, 7,974 Irish and 4,601 Italians. The city has two main arteries, High Street and Broad Street; at their intersection extends Capitol Square, in the center of which stands the majestic government building. The city, which covers an area of 110 sq km. approximately, it has numerous parks.
Columbus is a notable industrial and commercial center; the main activity is the steel-mechanical one; Tobacco factories, the printing-publishing industry, etc. follow. It also has great importance as a railway junction; moreover, it is found at the confluence of two rivers, and is joined by a canal to the great artery of the Ohio Canal, which joins Lake Erie (Cleveland) with the basin of the Ohio River. The city is home to the Ohio State University, founded in 1870 and reorganized in 1878, one of the most important in the United States, with over 800 teachers and 12,000 students, equipped with a rich library; of the Capitol University (Lutheran), founded in 1850; of the Saint Joseph’s Academy (Catholic), founded in 1875. There are numerous schools and libraries.
City of the USA, in the State of Ohio, home to a military base where in 1995 the Agreements of Dayton (later ratified in Paris)were signed between the Serbian presidents south Milosević, Croatian F. Tudjiman and Bosnian A. Izetbegović, that ended the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina.